This is a major new release with many improvements and bug fixes, especially for VHDL-2008 features.
--nativeelaborate options which were deprecated in version 1.3 have been removed.
- The JSON dumper which was unmaintained for several years has been removed.
- VHDL-2019 mode can be enabled with
--std=2019. Please note there is very limited support for this standard at present.
- The new
--no-saveelaboration option skips saving the elaborated design and other generated files to the working library.
- Added support for
elsifin generate statements (#510).
- Xilinx Vivado vendor libraries can now be compiled with
nvc --install vivado.
- LLVM 8.0 or later is now required due to deprecation of non-opaque pointers.
- Altera/Intel Quartus vendor libraries can now be compiled with
nvc --install quartus.
nvc --versionoutput now includes the commit hash if built from a Git checkout.
- The new
--gtkwrun option writes a
.gtkwsave file for GtkWave containing all the signals in the design (suggested by @amb5l).
libffiis now a build-time dependency.
- Negation of the smallest negative value of a type such as
-integer'leftnow produces an error.
- Default OSVVM version updated to 2022.11.
case .. generatestatements are now supported in VHDL-2008.
- Coverage implementation was reworked and now collects statement, branch, expression and toggle metrics (from @Blebowski).
--makecommand is deprecated and will be repurposed in a later release. Use the new
--print-depscommand instead to generate Makefile dependencies.
Special thank you to @bpadalino, @tmeissner, @Blebowski, and @amb5l for sponsoring me!