July 28th, 2021
I’ve released a new version 1.5.2 of the VHDL compiler I’m working on. This is the second bug fix release on the 1.5 branch containing the following changes back-ported from the development branch:
- Link libexecinfo on FreeBSD.
- Implement textio READ procedure for BIT and TIME.
- Fixed a crash when a long running procedure suspends in a loop.
- Fix static linking with LLVM 12.0.
- Fix crash when assigning to a signal declared in a package.
- Fix incorrect recording of dependencies which caused a failure to load generated DLLs on Windows.
- Fix file locking error when a library is located on NFS.
- Optimise loading large library index from disk.
- Fix a crash when using ‘VALUE with enumeration subtypes.
- Fix a crash when a signal with more than 256 elements is declared in a package.
This release is signed with GPG key fingerprint
0784 505A DB5D 7D86 D2BD E6DA BCDB 295F 7431 9F1A. Download both the
.tar.gz files and verify with:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys BCDB295F74319F1A
gpg --verify nvc-1.5.2.tar.gz
There is now a public git mirror at https://git.nickg.me.uk/nvc.git if you prefer not to use GitHub.
July 25th, 2021
Throughout June and July the Shanghai local government has been trying a new tactic to convince people to take the coronavirus vaccine: bribes. At many vaccination centres you can be entered into a draw to win a phone or receive some other free gift. It’s clearly working as apparently 70% of adults have now been vaccinated. I’ve collected a few examples below that I either saw myself or were shared around on WeChat.
I passed this one on the way to work. The text says “get the coronavirus vaccination here and receive five litres of cooking oil”.
This district is clearly lacking imagination: the sign says “take the vaccine and receive 300 RMB cash after the second injection”.
A sign at Shanghai International Tourism Resort. It says “take the vaccine inside the resort and receive a free entrance ticket”.
This one says if you take the vaccine here, you’ll be entered into a prize draw. The top prize is an iPhone 12 and the second one is a Macbook, although the seventh prize is just some eggs.
This lady won a phone at another location after getting her vaccination. There’s a maximum of one per day but if you don’t win anything you still get five litres of cooking oil.
July 17th, 2021
In the interests of team building or something I made a clay cup at some pottery workshop. The results were surprisingly good and said cup is quite usable for drinking water.
The raw materials shaped with my own hands into something resembling a cup.
The painting process. Note the expert colour mixing going on.
The finished article. Note that it has shrunk quite a lot in the baking process.