xcowsay displays a cute cow and message on your Linux desktop. Inspired by the original cowsay.
xcowsay includes all these amazing features:
- Fully configurable!
- Calculates display time from amount of text
- Dream mode — display images in the bubble
- Can draw thought and speech bubbles
- Daemon mode! Send your cow messages over DBus!
- Three different sized cows provided
- fortune(6) wrapper program: xcowfortune — cow will deliver pearls of wisdom!
- Replace the naffness that is xmessage(1)
- Should work with any window manager
- Supports UTF-8 characters properly
- Automatic word wrapping
- Use alternative non-cow images if you like
It works on Macs and *BSD too!
Latest version: xcowsay-1.5.1.tar.gz
You can also follow xcowsay development from my GitHub page.
xcowsay’s unexpected popularity means it’s now available directly from some Linux distributions and BSDs!
- Mandriva RPMs for i586 and x86_64.
- Fedora packages are here.
- FreeBSD port is here
- NetBSD users can install it via ports too – package here.
- OpenBSD port is here.
- Arch Linux users can get it from AUR.
- Gentoo users can get it from the main Portage tree.
- Debian and Ubuntu users should install xcowsay via apt.
Big thank you to everyone who’s packaged it for different platforms, made translations, or just commented!
Here’s a screen shot of the new dream mode:
Check out the xcowsay page on Freshmeat.