The main focus of this release was VHDL-2019 support. Consult the features page for the current status of each LCS. If there is a VHDL-2019 feature you find particularly useful please raise an issue so it can be prioritised.
- The Zstandard compression library is now a build dependency. Install
integertype is now 64-bit in VHDL-2019 mode.
- The VUnit VHDL libraries can now be installed with
nvc --install vunitbut please note this does not install the Python infrastructure.
- Updated to OSVVM 2023.05 and UVVM 2023.03.21 for
- Conditional expressions are now allowed in constant, signal, and variable declarations in VHDL-2019 mode.
- Conditional return statements are now supported in VHDL-2019.
- Added support for the “function knows vector size” feature in VHDL-2019.
- Entity ports with variable class and protected type are now supported in VHDL-2019 mode.
- The xpm_vhdl project which provides VHDL models of the Xilinx XPM macros can now be installed with
nvc --install xpm_vhdl.
- Many improvements to the VHPI implementation (from @Forty-Bot).
vhpiDepositPropagatemode is now supported.
- The Synopsys
std_logic_miscpackage is now compiled for 2008 (#696).
- Fixed an issue where leading
NULcharacters in a report message would prevent the entire message being printed (#700).
- Added support for interfaces in VHDL-2019 including mode view declarations, mode view indications, and the
- Added support for VHDL-2008 matching
- Added support for the new
'indexattributes in VHDL-2019.
- Implemented the date/time functions from
- The default exit severity was changed from
failure. This means a failing assertion no longer immediately terminates the simulation. The old behaviour can be restored with
- Comparison operators as well as
maximumfunctions are now defined for all scalar array types in VHDL-2019.
- Added support for selected signal and variable sequential assignment statements.
-aanalysis command now accepts an
-f listoption where
listis a text file containing a list of files to analyse. Alternatively this may be written
- Accesses to protected types and files are now allowed in VHDL-2019.
- Fixed a crash when indexing a null array (#734).
- Named and range choices are now supported in aggregate targets of variable and signal assignments (#712).
synopsys.attributespackage is no longer distributed or built as part of the standard libraries.
Special thank you to @bpadalino, @tmeissner, @Blebowski, @amb5l, @m42uko, @a-panella, and @ikwzm for sponsoring me!